Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Ideas for the Tax code.

I am sure others have had this idea, but just in case, I will share it....

Our tax system is too complex. I have done my own taxes using tax preparation software for several years now, and I am certain this complexity is there to create work for accountants.

In my vision, perfect tax system would be a flat tax.
Not a percent, but a number. Say $25,000. Why is this? Well, because tax is a way for us to pay for the services government provides to us. As far as I know those are the same for upper middle class and lower class alike. Actually lower classes get a lot more from the government.

So what about the poor? - you ask. Well, the poor are not all created equal. Those at disadvantage (medical, mental, etc) of some sort should get a break in taxes as well as some assistance from public programs. Others, should be made to work for the government to cover their tax obligations - clean streets and parks for example.

Think of your life in the country as a bus ride, why should different people pay different fees to ride?

Sure you will need some additional provisions for certain situations, but the general concept is the same: pay for service!

No comments:

Post a Comment