Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Electronic Medical Records Ideas

Idea 1: All medical records should be online...

I am well aware that currently there is a major effort to digitize medical records. Finally! However, I think as always it is not being done in the best possible way.

Here is why....
Most systems that are being put in place are designed for the particular medical facility. So all doctors who are part of that facility will have easy access to a patient's medical records via Internet or special computer program.
What I am suggesting, is that my medical records should be online available for every doctor that I visit. By the same token every doctor must be required to update my medical record once I am done with the visit. All my tests, prescribed medications, doctor's comments, all should be in one place. I don't want to fill out the same form every time I go to a new doctor. I don't want to update my insurance information in 10 different offices, I don't want to wait several days for one doctor to get my records from another. I don't want to get conflicting medication because I forgot to mention to my new doctor the medication that my previous doctor prescribed.
Purpose of my blog is to provide IDEAs not solutions. So I will not get into how this should be done. Although, one technology that comes to mind is Google's Waves.

Issue of main concern is security, but I rather be alive than incognito.

No comments:

Post a Comment